Thursday, August 7, 2008

Needing a Vacation from my Vacation

There's my answer to the '6-word memoir ala Hemingway' challenge inspired by my friend Kristen at nosmallthing- I might be able to come up with more later, but for now, I'm too exhausted, because, like I said, I am desperately needing a vacation from my vacation and let me tell you why.


Have you ever taken a trip and just planned too many activities in each day to enjoy everything? This trip has been the exact opposite. We're in the outer banks- the place you go to escape the hussle and bussle, right? So the Schedule-Nazi (and I've earned that title) has put away her lists and calendar and we've just been going with the flow- moseying here and there with no rhyme or reason. But our days have been just as busy-trekking all over the North Carolina coast- lighthouse visiting, ferry riding, go-karting, bumper boating, ice cream dropping, seagull feeding, marshmallow roasting, penny smushing, and of course a few hours at the beach each day. Ryan worked on his surfing technique a bit more, and the kids became Junior Rangers for the Cape Hatteras Seashore which involved us tracking down a couple different kids programs so they could earn their patches. Whew! We've had the most fun week! Not to mention that we've stayed up until almost midnight every day and our room faces the sunrise with no blinds on our sliding glass door so guess what time we've been getting up all week!


The energy level of the group we're with is amazing! Every morning our "mom" for the week Lin is up at the crack of dawn making a delicious breakfast for 16, and cooking up something yummy for lunch so it can cool and be packed up for a picnic. She's gone all out for dinners each evening (who has time to make homemade bbq sauce while on vacation?!) If she weren't in med school, I'd say she should be a caterer. We've also celebrated all the summer birthdays with cakes for dessert every day, except the day we built a bonfire on the beach and made s'mores. How thoughtful and sweet of them to give the kids birthday gifts too! New Webkinz pets of course! What a fabulous vacation!!

No comments: