Friday, August 29, 2008

Dancing in the Rain

Well, I never thought when I put that quote about Dancing in the Rain on the top of my blog how it would literally play out right in front of me at Ryan's birthday party. Today was his big day, and we looked forward to meeting lots of our friends at the pool for one last summer splash and to celebrate the birthday boy's big event. The problem was, it's 65 degrees and raining. Oh yes, a great day for the pool! We checked the weather report constantly the last few days... only a 30% chance... a few scattered showers... no problem, I'm sure we'll be fine! Rescheduling? Not an option, the pools are closing this weekend. Move the party to the house?? I don't want 19 muddy-footed children running around here thank you very much! So this morning when it was constant drizzle and thick heavy cloud cover, we tried to prepare Ryan for a lot of cancellations and no-shows. He was sure it would be fine. The rain will stop, don't worry! Good grief is he optomistic!

We pulled up, shocking all the lifeguards who were sitting around the office in their sweats. Stepping out of the car I saw a little friend standing there in his trunks holding an umbrella I wondered how big of a disaster I was in for. But he and Ryan stormed into the pool splashing, screaming and grinning ear to ear. And as we unloaded the van, more and more and more friends showed up. You really find out who your friends are when you have a pool party in the rain and people still come!!


Purple-lipped and shivering, the kids never had so much fun! Tim earned major dad of the year points staying in the water the whole time tossing the kids around and playing games. The kids ran back and forth from the pool to a hot steaming shower in the locker room. At one point there were about 6 kids crammed into a shower stall together warming up. All the moms stuck together under the overhang in the "dry section." We had so much to talk about because we had just come from Kindergarten Open House and met our new teachers.

So today, we really did learn to dance in the rain! My sense of optimism has been renewed, my appreciation and faith in good friends has deepened, and my baby boy is 6 years old.



Our Olympic Diving Event


Ryan's President Cake


Warming up in a hot steamy shower!




1 comment:

Erika said...

Looks like fun to me Nicole!!