Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!

Ahh, New Year, a time of reflection and resolution, change, turn over a new leaf, blah blah. It's always the same over here, let's get into shape, let's not eat out as much, let's eat healthier, let's save more money... whatever... by February we're right back where we started. Heck, probably within a week we've forgotten those lofty goals. But this year I am really going to try to stick with my resolution because this year I have a good one.

Inspired by my friend Annie, I am going to spend the year searching labels and NOT purchase anything MADE IN CHINA. Lots of luck, right? Hmmm, I think it can be done, it will just take a little work. A quick google search brought back lots of results of others who have done this little experiment and I am intrigued.

I don't claim to know anything about the trade industry or global economy or what federal regulations are in place regarding imports. And I don't mean to pick on China, I'm sure it's a beautiful country and I'd love to see the Great Wall someday, or see a panda living in the wild. I think far too many american jobs are outsourced for the cheap labor, and while our unemployment rate soars, other countries are thriving leaving us dependent on foreign imports. China in particular has been connected with using toxins in dog food, and lead paint on my son's Thomas the Train set, and rohypnol in my daughter's Aqua Dots. That's 3 members of my family they have tried to kill, so I now embark on my own private boycott of their imports. Maybe 1 person can make a difference.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do this...Not religiously, but if I see something was made in China, I do put it back on the shelf. Especially food. Why on earth (other than for money), would we use apples from china to make our apple juice, when two of our own states are famous for their apples? Even Whitehouse apples, produced in Winchester for goodness sake, uses imported apples. Sheesh!!!

Anyway, I agree, and I have a major problem with china and their practices...from the forced family control size (and we all know what that leads to, and none of the options are very nice), to the dog eating, and the product poisonings. It may be a beautiful country in many ways, but I can't get past the way they disregard the lives of their baby girls. Just can't.