Monday, January 5, 2009

The Great '08

With Ryan lamenting the passing of 2008, (seriously, no one wish this kid a Happy New Year- he is pissed that 2008 is over, the old calendar is down and life is moving on) I thought I'd put together our own TOP 10...since every news and entertainment channel has a top 10 and let's face it, this blog is chock full of news and entertainment! So here are our Top 10 memories of 2008... in no particular order, or are they?

10. Disney World!!! Katie and I were too afraid to go on the Pirate Slide last year, but this year we had lots of courage and went on it countless times! Because we spent a ton of money on park tickets, and had just as much fun at the hotel pool.

9. Off to Kindergarten... this memory will no doubt stick with me and Ryan for different reasons, but it was a major event of our year!

8. Webkinz... it feels like those cute little pets have always been a part of our lives, but it was just about 6 months ago that we were first introduced to them at the beach house when Pop Pop and Nana brought Jake and Curly into our lives. Now we have quite a collection and love taking care of the little critters!
7. Speaking of the beach house, we had lots of good times playing with the cousins and soaking up the sun in Emerald Isle AND Rodanthe this summer. Too many to name just one favorite, but Ryan and Katie learning to surf really stands out in my mind...
and so does the cactus incident - Imagine sweet, carefree little Katie in flipflops, flitting through the sandy path without a worry in the world and suddenly stepping on this
Oh yes, blood curdling screams were heard for miles. And I had to use tweezers to pull 6 or 7 of those loooooonnnnnnggggg needles out of her toes.


6. Spending the day at Cox Farms was another awesome memory for us. Wholesome family fun on a farm! Ahhh, good times!
5. Playing soccer with Coach Daddy. Katie had been waiting so long to finally get out on the field and play soccer. I'll never forget her running over to the sidelines for a water break, sweaty and out of breath from saying,"Mommy, I'm helping my team so much with all my running!!" She was so proud, so excited to be part of the team, although she rarely ever got a chance to get her foot into the heaping mass of people chasing the ball and actually kick it.

4. Katie loved performing in 2 ballet recitals this year, and going on stage as a "Guest Conductor" for the Fairfax symphony orchestra at a performance we went to this summer. Destined for stardom...

3. Who would have thought making tie-dye t-shirts would make our list of favorite things...the kids loved it!! Unwrapping the rubber bands and seeing the beautiful patterns and designs the dye made on our shirts was awesome! Ryan was flapping everywhere, jumping around like he'd just won the lottery! And the best part was that we had adorable matching shirts!
2. I think I'll note this as the year Ryan became obsessed with sports. He loved T-ball and Soccer and we went to several hockey games that he talked about all the time, especially the guys that fight and slam each other into the walls! And if there was a football in the room, he needed to be throwing it! At restaurants, he always managed to find a tv with a football game playing and would totally zone out watching it. He can't wait to play football, and he is not interested in flag football at all- he wants to tackle and body slam and will have penalties on every play!

1. Our little baby is a baby no more! Claire's birthday is a bittersweet memory for me... as sad as it makes me to realize that I don't have a little baby anymore, I'm happy to look back on the changes and growth she's made and know that I haven't missed a single thing. I'm so lucky to be able to spend my days with the kids. I wouldn't change a thing.


What a huge undertaking to narrow it down to only 10! I could have gone on forever, it was so fun taking a trip down memory lane! I can't believe Niagara Falls wasn't on this list! That is one of my favorite places to go! It would have definitely been on the list, but this was a compilation and the kids had some priorities that they could not let go! I also would have had to include Katie's tea party birthday... what a sweet day for my little girl! And the joy Ryan has found through his research and study of the presidents including all the campaign coverage and historical election is another big memory for me! So I guess we'll call this my top 13!!

THE END!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All good memories indeed. I can't believe you didn't include our trip to the park...surely that would make the cut. :)

You guys have a good life, that's for sure.