Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Webkinz Revisited

The kids love Webkinz, it's an obsession. It's become the main topic of discussion throughout the day at our house. At bedtime the last thing I hear when I tuck them in is a reminder to log onto their account at a certain time for a coupon or an extra spin on the Wheel of Yum as if the only thing I have to do in the evenings is Webkinz! Although if I'm being honest, I might love Webkinz as much as they do!

But alas, to be a good parent, we must limit their time online right? So today was our "Day Off" from Webkinz. What did they do? They set up the loft as Webkinz World. Katie set out a bunch of toys in a big circle and stood in the middle, eyes closed, arm pointing out spinning in a circle. "Look Mom, I'm the Wheel of Wow! You never know where I'm going to stop!" Ryan recreated one of his favorite games from the arcade- Bonanza. He had little bamboo sticks lined up, his stuffed monkey had to walk across the planks and Mr. Potato head acting as a coconut would fall from the shelf above and bonk the monkey on his head. Using the doctor kit, they gave all their webkinz pets a thorough check up, and Curly and Bow got baths. They also hid all Katie's princess jewels and I was recruited to be the Curio Shop owner. I had my script, and in my most gruff, country drawl I said "Welcome to the Curio Shop. I hope ya find what yer lookin' for." They reenacted their gem hunts, banging with little pretend mallots around the bookshelves until they found the "gem of the day."
Most people would agree that Ryan and Katie live in their own little imaginative world... now we know, it's Webkinz World!

2 comments:

Erika said...

I am so out of the loop...I didn't know what webkinz were. I checked out the site and it looks very fun! Should I think twice about introducing the boys to it? :)

Anonymous said...

You can actually not go on Webkinz for a day. Wow what a concept. I am a Webkinz mom too, it is addicting. Your kids are very creative to play with such imagination.