Sunday, May 30, 2010

with a side of compost...

It is a weird thing of mine, I never order anything on the menu that comes with a "compote." The first thing that leaps to mind is "compost" and all I can think about is some filthy steaming pile of manure sitting on my plate and I wouldn't be able to enjoy the meal. There have been some dishes that sound heavenly, until they're ruined by the "warm blueberry compote" or whatever.

The other night I was waffling between 3 dishes, one with a roasted pineapple compote, one with a corn and black bean compote, and the third, which is what I ended up eating, which had no compost whatsoever. We were at Carrol's Creek Cafe, right on the docks of Annapolis, my new absolute favorite place. I should have taken a picture of my meal when it was brought out to me. Now I love to blog and keep documentation of everything cute my kids do or say, but I am not yet at the point where I can whip out my camera and take a picture of a plate of food in a crowded restaurant. But it was a delicious layer of sundried tomato risotto, topped with a macadamia encrusted mahi mahi, with creamed spinach on top. Looked a little Christmassy come to think of it with the reds and greens. It was melt-in-your-mouth amazement. Tim had a steak, the best steak of his entire life. He is still talking about this steak, days later. And we had crab cakes for an appetizer and Tim doesn't even like crab cakes but was raving about this one!


The best part was that we had to take a water taxi to get to this place, how cool is that?! And we watched the sunset right behind our table. And Tim had flowers delivered to the restaurant, they were waiting on our table as everyone around us wondered who's getting the special treatment. And then commenting on how we both look far, far too young to be celebrating our 12th anniversary.


We can't wait to go back to Annapolis! Tim wants to bring the kids and our parents, but I want to save it just for us. There is an overnight sailboat package with breakfast that I'm all over for the next time.



1 comment:

Gavin said...

Wow! 12 years!!! That is amazing...congrats! Sounds like you all had a wonderful celebration!