Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Trouble with Potty Training

Potty training is so much fun. You get to learn where all the public bathrooms are. And having a potty training toddler on your hands can save you lots of money because you're afraid to take any shopping trips lest you find out the hard way that all the bathrooms are too far away. Or too dirty. Or both.

The most fun you can possibly have while potty training happened to me today. We had to go to the store. Restocking the fridge and pantry. We were out of everything, even syrup. And we buy like 3 gallons of Costco syrup so it's very rare to run out of it.

So we're walking into the store talking about how we're going to stop at the bathroom on the way in to try to go pee pee so we can stay dry like a big girl. I plop Claire on the potty, and she immediately puts her hands on her thighs proudly pointing out how she's not touching anything, as her training has been adament on this point. She squints, indicating how hard she's trying to squeeze out something... but... alas, nothing this time.

About 10 minutes later, we'd gotten through the food line and were sitting down for a quick lunch before we tended to the list. Two bites into her chicken tenders she leans over to me and whispers, "I have to go potty." Oh, you have got to be kidding me right now. I think I may have said that out loud.

Have you ever seen a crazy lady bringing a tray full of food into the bathroom?
Well, that was probably me.

No comments: