Monday, July 13, 2009

The Long Haul

The price of plane tickets for 5 to Tampa is a little steep for us, plus there's the added struggle of not being able to bring as much stuff. When you're loading up the car for a long trip, you can pack almost everything. Except toothbrushes, why can't I ever remember those? So it was a no-brainer that we were going to drive to Tampa for the cruise. We like to do our long drives at night. Get a couple hours under our belt, stop for a late dinner, and pop a movie on for the kids and BAM- they miss most of the journey, happily cuddled up with their pillows and blankets. And we actually get to have good conversations with each other, rather than running interference and throwing snacks and crayons to the kids. And we can listen to good music instead of the Wiggles or Sesame Street (not that I don't love a good Ladybug Picnic).

What we didn't expect was that Tim's dad would want to drive down with us... commit to 12+ hours in the car watching Disney movies and napping in an upright position. Especially since he could have flown down with Tim's mom and been there in a couple hours. But rotating 3 drivers behind the wheel would lessen the strain on all of us so we snatched him up when he offered. Plus, come on! Doesn't this look fun?
So here's how our drive went:
5:00 pm starting our journey, all smiles, excitement looking ahead to our vacation

7:30 why did I have to eat that chicken fried chicken at Cracker Barrel? I can feel that gravy congealing in my arteries while I sit here... all semblance of the healthy eating plan is out the window in preparation for the cruise

9:00 the way we've positioned the seats and cargo, there is enough space for me to curl up on the floor of the van. I don't sleep while sitting, so I finagle my way onto the floor with some pillows and am almost as comfy as I'd be in a bed... well, ok maybe that's a stretch, but it's not bad

12:30 I'm awake, it's my turn to drive. We're just pulling out of a gas station in NC when BAM a giant splatter of bird poop hits the windshield, right in my line of sight. What kind of bird is even awake this late?

1:00 I'm enjoying my quiet ride, everyone is asleep. Tim is using a roll of paper towels as a blanket, poor thing!

1:45 Wow does South Carolina have a TON of adult video stores! Glad the kids are asleep and not reading these billboards!

2:30 What in the world is Claire doing awake?! She's in a half awake dazed slumber mumbling "Mommy Hand, Mommy Hand." So now I'm holding her hand while sitting sideways in my seat. Great. Why did I sign up for the midnight - 4am shift?

3:00 Now Claire is watching a movie. At least I have my hand back. My numb, purple, dead hand.

3:30 There's Mr. Pete's Pecans and Gas... there's a store I think we'll pass on

4:00 Someone else's turn to drive, I'm heading back to sleep...

7:30 Look out Tampa, the Erny's have arrived! We're looking for a Bob Evans for breakfast and Ryan is complaining that he slept through all of South Carolina, he really wanted to see that state! Bummer for him, maybe on the way back he can check out the "Gentleman's Clubs" ugh, we'll have to find another distraction for him, or at least an alternate explanation for what those places are!



No comments: