Saturday, June 27, 2009

The English Lesson

We have seriously dumbed down our speech around here. I know you're not supposed to use baby talk when interacting with your baby, and you should explain everything just as you would want it explained to you when talking to a toddler. We've never done it before, but this time around with Claire, we have really dropped the ball on vocabulary expansion. We use sentences like:

Mommy do it.
Mommy hold it
Daddy take it
No touch!

She uses the same types of sentences to communicate with us. So we're all on the same level. Tim and I talk to each other like this when the kids aren't even around. Caveman speak, or cavebaby speak... it's very efficient. And completely unnecessary for a child who will frequently take the child safety locks off the cabinet doors, dig around for what she needs in the cabinet, and then put the safety locks back on...

2 comments:

Cathe said...

I love "watching" Claire figure things out - it's a head's up for me on what's coming for Morgan. Next up: princess dresses, pigtails, and cavebaby talk!

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

I do the cavebaby talk too. Sometimes I correct myself and sometimes I don't even notice, or care. :) You're right...it's very efficient.