Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Ants go Marching...

Hoorah, Hoorah...
What's the very last thing I expected to see when getting home from vacation? All the unpacking, laundry, bills, restocking the groceries looming over my head... and yet there's another pertinant task taking the lead as I rank the priority of these jobs, weighted against the exhaustion I'm feeling from the day of traveling.

After all the cleaning we did before leaving because isn't it so refreshing to come home to a nice clean house... On the kitchen counter is a skittle. Or what's left of a skittle. It was a green one, but almost all the green shell has been removed. Removed by ANTS!! Ewwww, there is a steady stream of tiny ants marching to and from this skittle, each carrying off an invisible chunk of skittle. I follow with my eyes the line of marching ants and see that they're heading through a tiny crack in the mortar between 2 tiles on the backsplash. Heading through that crack and into the outlet! I shudder to think what it would look like if I took that outlet cover off.

Tim is on top of this situation quick as a wink. One minute he is my pack mule, unloading a weeks worth of junk from the beach, the next minute he is flooding the outlet and countertop with ant spray. Those ants don't know what hit them. Who knows how many days they had been working on that skittle. Who knows, maybe there was a handful of skittles and they were finally on the last one!

And NOW we can get to the laundry, the bills, and head out to Costco to restock the fridge with food for the week.

No comments: